Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 17:18:51 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Why those modes that you take as models for C-c C-c use precisely that
> binding for sending text to an inferior process? Because it is the most
> used action and, hence, it is natural to use a keybinding that is fast
> and easy to type.
>
> That's the same reason why Org-mode uses C-c C-c for its most frequent
> actions, although you pretend to remove that convenience because
> "consistency"... when in fact you'll be reducing consistency!
>
> Likewise, (E)shell and CC-Mode use C-c C-c because it is easy to relate
> to the associated action *and* because it is easy to type.
>
> Thus, you also would reduce Emacs' ergonomics and mnemonics because of
> your false idea of consistency.
>
> It is important to understand why things are as they are before acting
> as if those who made them were incompetent and the world is depending on
> us to fix their glaring mistakes.

I replaced as example C-c C-c in org mode (edit-special) with Menu + d +
d, the problem is that vanilla Emacs doesn't allow that kind of bindings
as far as I know:

(:map xah-fly-e-keymap
          ("e" . (lambda () (interactive)
                   (if org-src-mode (org-edit-src-exit)
                     (org-edit-special)))))

But I have no standard keyboard, but the fly-keys can also be accessed
with Space + d + d. (in command mode)

And it's e in the code because I use dvorak. d is easier to hit as c,
and C is not more rememberable then d it's completely randomly chosen.

Also I would argue that most people press C-c C-c with left control
instead of the ergonomic way to use the right control therefor you train
people to use unergonomic keychords.

But the main problem is not the char you use but that you have to hold
this modifiers, which "reduces ergonomics" as compromise I would also
be ok with having some sort of sticky keys? and you press once Ctrl
release then press c c.

But this is not even a optional feature in emacs:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/StickyModifiers

And I would argue it should be the default behaviour, but it should at
least be a opiton. So don't claim it has to do with mnemonics or
ergonomics it has historic reasons not more not less. I would also argue
that consistence is not that important.

But another suggestion for that, if C-c C-c is meant as shortcut for a
"important-function" why not have a binding for "do-important-action" or
"do-major-action" and depending on mode that functions calls the
important function of the mode. So that the user can choose globaly a
keybinding for that and don't has to do that for 80 modes
seperately. and the developer of the mode just somewhere sets which
function is bound to C-c C-c by setting:
(setq mode-important-function 'compile...)

That would give at least so much consistancy that you don't have to
change the keybinding 50 times in 50 modes if you want to change it, and
in some where I was to lazy yet I still have to press C-c C-c and in
some I press my Menu + e + e.