Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 15:40:50 +0100

Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de> writes:

> You barely find a mode that has both defined. C-c c and C-c C-c.

You don't understand my point.  You should not be able to find *any*
mode that defines C-c c.  That's because C-c c is in the *users* range
of keybindings.

All keybindings of the form "C-c something" are reserved for setting by
the user.  Let's say you have a command that doesn't have a key.  You
want to assign it to a key.  You're supposed to use a keybinding
beginning with C-c and then an alphabetic key afterwards (e.g. C-c a C-c
w C-c p, etc).  It's the same if you write your own elisp command and
want to assign that to a key.  Many users assign lots of of their own
keys.

See: (info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions").

The problem with your plan is that the effect it would have on this.
Either the user key-range would disappear or it would become very clumsy
to use.  I think the ability to define your own keys is an essential
feature of Emacs.

BR,
Robert Thorpe