Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 16:40:07 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 17.05.2019 12:36, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
>>> Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 11:54:50 +0300
>>>
>>> Vim is consistent.

That was not my recollection when I learned it, nor is my impression
when I use it daily as an Evil user and as an occasional "true vim"
user.

I mean, vim has certain rules that work consistently, but not everything
that vim can do is subject to consistent rules. The ":" interface, for
instance. And even on the supposedly consistent interface there are
surprising details such as dw giving different results than vwd.

>> So is Emacs.  Inconsistencies in key bindings are rare exceptions in
>> Emacs.  Even the tutorial makes the point of explaining the rules for
>> consistent keybindings in basic editing commands.
>
> In the basics, sure. But I wouldn't still be using Emacs if it only
> provided basics.
>
> We pride ourselves on being more than just an editor. But the more
> features a program provides, the more important it is to have a
> logical common structure and similar underlying principles under all
> those features. Or how else is a person supposed to remember how to
> use all of them?

I doubt anybody is interested on using all of Emacs features. Not even
10% of them. Consistence for consintence's sake is useless. On every
case (and Emacs is many editors within an editor) there are local
optimums and those should prevail over global consistence.