Re: How to debug/gdb emacs/runemacs in windows?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to debug/gdb emacs/runemacs in windows?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 17:13:48 +0300

> From: Shuguang Sun <shuguang79@qq.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 16:15:56 +0800
>
> (gdb) run --dump-file "c:/Users/username/HOME/.emacs.d/var/dumps/semacs.pdmp"
> --force-dump
> Starting program: C:\Users\username\emacs\bin\emacs.exe --dump-file
> "c:/Users/username/HOME/.emacs.d/var/dumps/semacs.pdmp" --force-dump

What is the --force-dump option?  I don't think we have it in Emacs.

> Thread 1 received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
>
> The error above is because I call `recentf-edit-list` in the pdumper
> emacs which make it crash. Then

> (gdb) thread 1
> [Switching to thread 1 (Thread 231988.0x3954c)]
> #0  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
> (gdb) backtrace
> #0  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
> Backtrace stopped: previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)
>
> How could I find more information?

Looks like your stack is smashed.  Could it be you have infinite
recursion?

One thing to try is to load the src/.gdbinit file from the Emacs
distribution before you issue the "run" command, it might help you by
stopping Emacs earlier, before it does something that destroys the
stack.  If that doesn't work, put a breakpoint inside some function
that recentf-edit-list calls, like Fformat perhaps, invoke
recentf-edit-list, then step through the code until you see where it
crashes.

(The above is based on incomplete information, because you didn't
explain how recentf-edit-list is called, and what exactly is in your
private pdumper file.)