Re: Google Gmail mailing list bounces

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 18:08:04 -0600

Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs wrote:

I am going to need to change my reply filters to fix those up or it is
going to annoy me forever.

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> "The sender" - you mean me, well, my e-mail
> service provider, anyway? So Zoho is incorrect
> blaming Gmail?

Zoho definitely should not be blaming Gmail.  Zoho has instructed
Gmail to reject any mail from zoho.com that is being relayed through
mailing lists.  Or anywhere else either.

  $ dig _dmarc.zoho.eu txt +short
  "v=DMARC1; p=reject; sp=reject; fo=0; rua=mailto:dmarc.reports.eu@zoho.eu;
ruf=mailto:dmarc.reports.eu@zoho.eu";

Previously Gmail, Yahoo, others did not enforce this instruction.
They now do.

This is one of those things that takes two agents to cooperate in the
action.  The sender must set a strict dmarc policy.  The receiver must
strictly enforce the dmarc policy.  If either does not then the mail
is delivered.  If *both* do then the mail is rejected.  Earlier Yahoo
turned on strict enforcement.  More recently Gmail turned on strict
enforcement.  Here are some references to start:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMARC

And I pretty much agree with:

  https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/kL24edUthAOuHuwK3ZnpFkCXduI

> Ha! I always cause problems here! First it was
> the Usenet newsgroup (gnu.emacs.help, breaking
> threads), and now this. Interesting also that
> Usenet and Zoho probably are as far as two
> things can be from each other...

Someone must do the destructive testing. :-)

Bob