Re: Is Elisp really that slow? (was: Why is Elisp slow?)

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow? (was: Why is Elisp slow?)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 17:26:10 -0700

On 5/11/19, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 02:38:58AM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
>> If it is possible to have Elisp as fast as CL
>> or even as fast as C (!), the only problem is
>> no one has been motivated to do it! ???

> One last attempt: this whole thread is based on the premise
> that there is one clear definition of slow. Yet, there isn't.

well, for me as a mere user, i just want elisp [per se] to run faster.
maybe that has 1000 definitions, but the 3 things that i have read in
this thread wfm as PERFECT targets for speeding up and would make
emacs even better for me.

  1] org mode timestamp [aka "daily/weekly"] agenda to complete faster
for a 2 day [that is my normal span] agenda.  if this has more than
one definition, then i impetuously choose all.  :]  n.b. it could in
principle be mostly spread to 1 core per org agenda file as i doubt
it's teh sorting and displaying that takes up the time.  [not
intending to set cat among pigeons on that last one.]

  2] while re-search-forward do replace-match [iirc] [my question
which stefan nicely addressed] to work faster.  this is a tight loop
called frequently.

  3] elisp to be much faster so that new ideas can be done.

by "per se" i mean, perhaps confusingly, mere users program in a lisp,
preferably elisp, as opposed to a strange new syntax or c-like stuff
or elisp-like c.

for my part, i'll gladly program in cl if it is faster [quite similar
to elisp and standard], or even in scheme if needed for tight loops
[different from elisp but lisp].  i will not be thinking about
anything lower level than lisp.  unless somebody says use this
construct.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

What is misopathy?
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.