Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Francis Belliveau
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 20:05:40 -0400

I think that a lot of you are missing the point that was made early on in the
discussion.  This mapping of ASCII cntrol characters is a definition made by
convention since the day of the Teletype machines.  It is how the ASCII
character set was defined.

Some OS/driver implementations may hide it entirely from the application at the
keyboard driver level.  When that it the case there would be no way for emacs
to tell the difference between the C-[ and ESC keys because the OS-level
keyboard driver sends the same code for both.  Think of these as synonyms.

If you are having trouble, the problem may be at that level or possibly in the
"term-caps" definition in use.

Personally, I use C-i, C-[ as often as I use the backspace/delete and meta or
escape keys.  It it just a matter of what is easier to use based on where my
fingers, or what other keys I need to hit, are at the time.

Good Luck,
Fran