Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 16:30:14 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 15:06:54 +0200
>
> Nobody is asking for a change on the default bindings, what we are
> saying it that the user should be allowed to set the binding the
> same way he does for any other binding.

If you or someone else believe they know enough about the Emacs
keyboard input processing to propose its redesign which will satisfy
the above requirement, while OTOH avoiding any breakage of the current
defaults which map certain function keys to ASCII characters, or to
the related features (such as input method processing), then by all
means go ahead (just not here, on emacs-devel, please).

Current situation is nowhere near such expertise.  Suffices it to say
that several times during the recent years when we needed to make
seemingly-simple changes and fixes in that code, no one had the
courage to approve such changes.  For some of them, it later turned
out that we broke some subtle but important use cases, for others we
still have our fingers crossed.  So please don't expect any
significant redesigns in that any time soon, as long as all we do is
vent steam here.  We have an enormously complex piece of software on
our hands, and we have no better choice than going the "inconvenient"
ways when we want to rebind an unusual key.