Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 23:16:55 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 20:20:29 +0200
>
> If *-set-key functions don't work with those combinations, as far as the
> user is concerned, he is disallowed to bind them.

But those functions do work with these keys, you just need to know
what you are doing, in order not to shoot yourself in the foot.

> Not everyone has a Stefan at hand to come with a hack to work around
> the limitation.

What's wrong with asking Stefan (or any other expert) when you want to
do something unusual?  No one can know everything.  Treating every
tricky solution as meaning you are "disallowed" is quite extreme.

> It is easy to understand from where it came, what is puzzling is the
> fact that it remained to this day.

There's no puzzle from where I stand.

> > I don't see how we can avoid jumping through hoops when the text
> > terminal produces an ASCII key code whereas a GUI terminal doesn't.  I
> > invite you to read keyboard.c and keymap.c, where you will find a few
> > more "accidents" like this.
>
> It is not possible (and even more practical than sprinkling the C code
> base with special cases) to bind those key combinations to the
> terminal-emulation functionality using the normal methods (keymaps) when
> running as a gui? Or is it the problem that gui and tty frames can't
> have different keymaps?

I don't understand the questions.  All the various variables mentioned
in this thread had names that end in "-map", which means they are
keymaps.  Some keys are processed via several keymaps before their
bound functions are invoked.  So we do definitely use keymaps for this
functionality.

As for keymaps for gui and tty, I believe they are different: see
lisp/term/*.el, where each terminal/emulator has its own keys in the
keymap.

I don't think the issue in this thread was about changing the default
behavior, so whether tty and gui have different keymaps is not the
issue.  The issue is that remapping some keys is trickier than others.