Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 15:06:54 +0200

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 08, 2019 at 02:31:50AM +0200, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Francis Belliveau <f.belliveau@comcast.net> writes:
>>
>> > I think that a lot of you are missing the point that was made early on
>> > in the discussion. This mapping of ASCII cntrol characters is a
>> > definition made by convention since the day of the Teletype machines.
>> > It is how the ASCII character set was defined.
>>
>> So what? Why a GUI user should be inconvenienced or prevented to bind
>> C-i, C-[, etc. to whatever he pleases the same way he binds any other
>> key combination?
>
> It /is/ possible:

It is *possible*. OTOH (local-set-key "\C-[" 'foo) does not work, which
is an obvious bug on my book. If it is a bug on the implementation or on
the documentation, is another topic. (for me, as an user, it is a bug on
the implementation)

> thus I don't quite understand your anger here.

Please don't add emotion or hidden intent to written expressions on
technical forums, it poisons the discussion.

> I think it's OK for it to be discouraged by default. It's OK for it
> to be discouraged for "official" Emacs packages. Because there's some
> value in Emacs behaving consistently across backends by default
> (as much as possible: it's clear that you can't display a PNG on
> a VT220, at least not without some compromise in quality).
>
> Perhaps the ways have to be documented better, and see Stefan's efforts
> in making it easier.
>
> Let me repeat here: there is some value in Emacs behaving consistently
> across backends (few editors out there, if any, cover the span from
> VT220 to X so elegantly). There are folks who use Emacs simultaneously
> with different backends.

Sorry, but this makes no sense. Nobody is asking for a change on the
default bindings, what we are saying it that the user should be allowed
to set the binding the same way he does for any other binding. It is not
reasonable to expect from the user knowledge about ancient technologies
and the limitations they imposed on the Emacs implementation that deals
with them.