Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: 조성빈
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 20:48:49 +0900

2019. 6. 8. 오후 5:44, tomas@tuxteam.de 작성:

>> On Sat, Jun 08, 2019 at 02:31:50AM +0200, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Francis Belliveau <f.belliveau@comcast.net> writes:
>>
>>> I think that a lot of you are missing the point that was made early on
>>> in the discussion. This mapping of ASCII cntrol characters is a
>>> definition made by convention since the day of the Teletype machines.
>>> It is how the ASCII character set was defined.
>>
>> So what? Why a GUI user should be inconvenienced or prevented to bind
>> C-i, C-[, etc. to whatever he pleases the same way he binds any other
>> key combination?
>
> It /is/ possible: thus I don't quite understand your anger here.
>
> I think it's OK for it to be discouraged by default. It's OK for it
> to be discouraged for "official" Emacs packages.

Well, I’m not sure ‘discouraging’ is to ‘encourage users to use hacky
solutions’ :-(
I would rather like if I can rebind them without an hassle, and Emacs can emit
a warning when Emacs is executed insidea terminal.

> Because there's some
> value in Emacs behaving consistently across backends by default
> (as much as possible: it's clear that you can't display a PNG on
> a VT220, at least not without some compromise in quality).

Well, I remember C-/ not working in terminals while working in GUI Emacs... I’m
fine with that; but that also means C-[ should be rebindable without hassle.

> Perhaps the ways have to be documented better, and see Stefan's efforts
> in making it easier.
>
> Let me repeat here: there is some value in Emacs behaving consistently
> across backends (few editors out there, if any, cover the span from
> VT220 to X so elegantly). There are folks who use Emacs simultaneously
> with different backends.

Well, Emacs should focus consistency between major/minor modes first since
there are a lot more folks who use Emacs simultaneously with between lots of
major modes... (which is being discussed in the ‘Is elisp really slow?’
thread... :-))