Re: Is Elisp really that slow? (was: Why is Elisp slow?)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow? (was: Why is Elisp slow?)
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2019 01:26:50 +0200

tomas wrote:

> And this is so generic that it's best served
> by a generic programming language, which
> Elisp isn't, and for a good reason.

Well, I guess it depends what you mean. To me,
Elisp is a domain-specific dialect of Lisp.
And Lisp is as generic as it can be. It is the
Pythagorean theorem theorem of computing, as
Pascal Bourguignon would have put it (long time
I heard from him BTW). [1]

So is Elisp Elisp or is it Lisp with an E?
(NB not Ecstacy.)

It is rather the "ungenericness" of the domain
that makes it ungeneric, if so. And Emacs is
pretty generic, I'd say?

Or what do you mean, more specifically?

But in practice if someone I meet in the
city center has a computer problem, I don't say
"solve it with Elisp". So I suppose you are
right, still...

[1] PJB has a homepage here:
    <https://www.informatimago.com>
    But no e-mail what I can see anywhere.
    I always like to CC people when I mention
    them, so I put this here to show I at least
    made a small effort to find his e-mail.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573