RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 19:16:39 -0800 (PST)

> > However, yes, the target file names recorded in
> > the bookmarks are absolute names.  So you would
> > want to define a command that not only moves the
> > bookmark file and its targeted files, together,
> > to the same new directory, but also updates the
> > recorded file names in the bookmarks, to reflect
> > the new target directory.  That wouldn't be hard.
>
> Not hard, but a disadvantage, because I need to remember that I need to
> do it.  All the time.  Or hack any possible way to move files in Emacs.
> That's a big minus for me.

Do you really often move files for which you have
associated notes?

If so, then you might consider defining a file
handler, to take care of that automatically (by
its `rename-file' operation).

---

Or yes, not use bookmarks for your annotations.

It's clear that the bookmarks that target a
file are something separate from the file,
linked with it only by that targeting.

This is different from, say, file attributes,
which "stay with the file" when you move it,
because they're managed by the same thing that
does the moving: the file system.

And it is different from, say, storing notes
in the file content in some way.

As I said earlier, there are advantages to
having such metadata as part of the data
(file). There are also disadvantages.  It
depends on the various things you want to do,
and how they're implemented.

Bookmarks aren't the answer to everything. ;-)