Re: Viminfo for emacs

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Viminfo for emacs
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 16:42:10 -0500

On Apr 10, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <oitofelix@gnu.org>
wrote:

> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>
>> On 4/8/20 5:37 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
>>> Hi Tim,
>>> If eventually your Emacs config becomes heavy, the way to go is running
>>> Emacs as a server once at system start-up and then use emacsclient
>>> thereafter.  See (info "(emacs) Emacs Server").
>> Thanks Bruno. I had thought of that, but can emacs/emacsclient be run
>> as a terminal app?
>
> Sure.  In fact you can have any number of emacsclient instances
> (text-based and graphical) simultaneously connected to the same emacs
> server: sharing buffers, settings and functionality.

On Linux, the default install for emacs uses GTK+.  GTK+ has a bug,
which is documented in the emacs code somewhere, that you can not
close the X windows connection.  The fix is to use emacs built with
Lucid.

So… if you go the route of emacs server but you discover that
sometimes you emacs server dies for no reason, try switching to the
Lucid version.

This bites, in particular when you export DISPLAY to another X server
that is no local.