Re: Japanese font settings ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Japanese font settings ?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 21:41:09 +0900

> On May 22, 2020, at 19:49, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
>> Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 14:25:23 +0900
>>
>> I have no idea how to make use of the information regarding fontsets in the
>> emacs manual to simply have a font of my choice to display Japanese text.
>>
>> Is there an understandable tutorial somewhere ?
>
> What we have in the 2 manuals is what we think should be it.  Did you
> read the node "Fontsets" in the ELisp manual as well?  It has an
> example for your use case, I think.

I don't think users should have to read a language reference to know how to
change a font in their text editor. If that's not a documentation bug then I
don't know what is.

> If that is not good enough, please report a documentation bug with the
> details of what you want to achieve, what you tried, and why you think
> what you tried didn't do the job.

What I did is search for CJK in the customize interface, then search for
Japanese, then search the Emacs manual and could not find information relevant
to my problem which was "I just want to change the default font for Japanese".

Plus, my question was not "at the end of which node in an obscure language
reference manual can I find an example that allegedly solves my problem" but,
let me restate it:

>> Is there an understandable tutorial somewhere ?

If you don't have an answer to that, that's fine. I just want to change a font,
not spend a day reading a reference. The emacs manual doesn't have an answer to
that. It should.

Jean-Christophe Helary