Re: Japanese font settings ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Japanese font settings ?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 15:54:36 +0300

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
> Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 21:41:09 +0900
>
> > What we have in the 2 manuals is what we think should be it.  Did you
> > read the node "Fontsets" in the ELisp manual as well?  It has an
> > example for your use case, I think.
>
> I don't think users should have to read a language reference to know how to
> change a font in their text editor. If that's not a documentation bug then I
> don't know what is.

I suggested to submit a bug if that's your conclusion.

> > If that is not good enough, please report a documentation bug with the
> > details of what you want to achieve, what you tried, and why you think
> > what you tried didn't do the job.
>
> What I did is search for CJK in the customize interface, then search for
> Japanese, then search the Emacs manual and could not find information
> relevant to my problem which was "I just want to change the default font for
> Japanese".
>
> Plus, my question was not "at the end of which node in an obscure language
> reference manual can I find an example that allegedly solves my problem" but,
> let me restate it:

Look, I'm trying to help you solve your problem.  I don't think I
deserve such a hostile attitude for doing that, do I?

> >> Is there an understandable tutorial somewhere ?
>
> If you don't have an answer to that, that's fine. I just want to change a
> font, not spend a day reading a reference. The emacs manual doesn't have an
> answer to that. It should.

I don't yet see whether the Emacs user manual has an answer.  It has
several examples in the node "Modifying Fontsets" that are very close
to what AFAIU you needed.  Did you see those examples and tried to
follow them?  If so, what didn't work?

I mentioned the ELisp manual because it just happens to have an
example with Japanese, but the examples in the Emacs manual are very
similar, they just use different scripts.