Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 22:54:44 +0200

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> 1. It is inefficient, in the sense that every
> overlay belongs to some buffer. No need to keep the
> variable `source-buffer'.

I don't understand?

> 2. Your code seems to assume that the point in the
> source buffer lies within the highlighted sentence,
> no? This need not be true, since
>
> 3. the source buffer may be (in my use-case) the
> same as the destination buffer, i.e., I sometimes
> keep both the English and Polish (let's say)
> versions in the same file. My code covers that case
> as well as two separate buffers.

Right, but I think its a good idea to keep them
apart. And then have different modes...

Still, one can do that as well... with a variable
instead of point to keep track of it the overlay.
Maybe editing screws it up. Its just better to have
different buffers for different purposes, then people
can also rearrange stuff visually more easily, and
many other advantages...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573