Re: How to reply to message in mailing list?

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 09:41:39 +0300

On 2020-09-15 04:49 +03, ej32u@protonmail.com wrote:
> Thank you!

You’re welcome!

> Thunderbird does have the option for sending messages directly to the
> recipient and CC'ing the mailing list (by clicking "Reply All"), but
> it doesn't seem to be the default action, and I'm not sure what the
> better behavior is in this case.  Is there a reason to prefer one
> behavior to the other?

This kinda boils down to preference.  Personally (I currently use mu4e
but regardless of the client) I like to reply to everyone participating
in the thread plus the list, and prefer everybody else do so.  That’s
because that means I get replies to my messages in my inbox, so I don’t
have to read the entire list all the time (and I only subscribed for
this particular discussion, normally I’m not really active here).  Some
say this creates duplication, tho my email client seems to handle that
well, not showing stuff from my inbox again when I look at the mailing
list.

TBH, this is why a piece of software like Gitlab or Github is superior
to this emailing setup.  You get to choose which discussions you want to
follow, or what news to follow, whether you want that stuff in your
inbox, and all that stuff.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427