RE: RE: Auto Fill Comments

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: RE: Auto Fill Comments
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 18:15:53 -0800 (PST)

> The manuals should be rewritten because they are
> incomprehensible.  Perhaps it was good in the eighties.

Maybe.  Or maybe programmers in the eighties
read more? or better?

Would you like to contribute to rewriting or
otherwise improving the manuals?  The job's
open.

> It continues forever.

Yep, Emacs gives you a lifetime of learning,
if you let it.

> Consider "face customisation" for instance,
> which just means font.

Bzzzzzzt!  Nope.  But thanks for playing.

> Nobody fuckin reads a manual with 17 nodes.

I do.  I'm not nobody.

Those who developed Emacs, and those who
continue to develop it, feel that Emacs doc
is vitally important to what Emacs is and
what it aims to be.

Personally, I couldn't be more thankful for
that perspective.  That's my Thanksgiving
message...

> You don't know which one to use, which
> commands are most useful, and so on.

You don't know if you don't read - true.
You don't know if you don't try - true.

> The problem gets compounded because every
> esoteric command is there.

No.  Most commands (and most functions, keys,
faces,...) are intentionally NOT documented
in the manuals.  Likewise, for most "esoteric"
commands (functions,...).

Your verdict reminds me of Emperor Joseph
telling Mozart there were too many notes...

Too many books in the library.  Internet's
too big.  What's a body to do?

> You are just insisting on something bad
> and inefficient.

You are just insisting that people help
you find info that's easy for you to find,
yourself.

I don't insist that you read the manuals.
Not at all.  Your loss, if you don't.  Or
maybe you'll be able to continue getting
spoon-fed here.  Good luck with that.

I'm actually glad people here help you.
I was trying to let you know that people
might be all the more likely to help if you
show some research effort.

Do I think Emacs users should ask questions?
Absolutely.  Do I sometimes help Emacs users
by answering questions?  Sure do - every day.

But the single best way I can help in that
regard is to help learn how to "Ask Emacs".

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/08/28/fish/
___

You wanna know how it was in the _real_
good-ole days?