RE: Auto Fill Comments

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Auto Fill Comments
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:51:37 -0800 (PST)

> > Yes, Emacs terminology is old.
>
> Which is why we have an elaborate Glossary chapter in the manual.

+1.
________

I'll mention also (definitely not _instead_)
that Emacs Wiki has a Glossary page:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Glossary

(There's also a link to it at the top left of
every wiki page - hard to miss.)

And more generally, there's even a Glossary
_category_ page, which points to other pages
that explain or cover things in more detail:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryGlossary

And all of that is easily findable from the
main wiki page - categories are listed there,
and there's Search:

https://www.emacswiki.org/

As is the case for most Emacs Wiki pages,
anyone can contribute to (edit) the Glossary
page.  So it presents terminology as many
different Emacs _users_ see it.  The page
may help you, or not.

(And many wiki pages are available in other
languages besides English.  And _you_ can
translate a page or improve a translation.)

The point is that people have tried to help
each other better understand Emacs and its
terminology, in different ways, with their
own voices.

Instead of just complaining about someone
else's attempt to describe, define, or
explain something, you can pitch in and
help in your own way.  You can add wiki
pages and edit existing pages.  You can
write your own Emacs manual there, if you
like...

Most importantly, you can take advantage of
this aid from other users.

I _do_ strongly recommend the Glossary in
the Emacs manual, but no one is limited to
any particular "official" presentation or
interpretation of such things.

There's little excuse for complaining that
there's "too much" help, or it's not clear
enough, or whatever.  In my humble opinion.

I also recommend these guiding wiki pages:

Newbie: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewbie

Learning Emacs: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LearningEmacs

Learning Elisp: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LearnEmacsLisp

Category Doc: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryDocumentation

The wiki is for everyone. You can contribute,
you can ask questions there,...  It's yours
(if you want it).
________

BTW, if you use my library Info+, then by default:

Glossary words, that is, words that are defined
in a manual's `Glossary' node, are highlighted
and linked to their glossary entries, if option
`Info-fontify-glossary-words' is non-`nil'.

By default, a mouseover on such a link shows a
tooltip with the word's definition from the
glossary, and either `mouse-2' or `RET' on a
link takes you to the entry in the Glossary.
And glossary entries that mention other entries
link to them.

By default, words in all manuals are linked
to the `Glossary' node of the _Emacs_ manual.
But you can control which manuals use which
glossaries (or none), using option
`Info-glossary-fallbacks-alist'.

(Currently only the Emacs and Semantic manuals
have `Glossary' nodes, as far as I know.  But
I use only the Info manuals provided by default
with GNU Emacs on MS Windows.)

,----

`----

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InfoPlus