Re: Designing people and organization management for Emacs

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Designing people and organization management for Emacs
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 21:23:43 +0300

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2020-12-04 21:06]:
> > When preparing Emacs package let us say for people's contact
> > management then users do not need to think much of the underlying
> > database table design. They think of people's names, birthdate,
> > address, and contact information.
> >
> > Programmers need to know how to make functions or do SQL queries.
>
> Would things be general enough with your plan?  For instance,
> settings fields and naming them, on which the queries would run.

That is what I do now mostly. I can create any table and then add,
edit, delete records. But it is not perfect, it needs work.

There will be also simpler version to create your own tables similar
like a wizard. Then users can add, edit, delete records or search
them.

> Can test it out and ask others using it for their work.  Have some contacts
> at the Osservatorio Vesuviano, Naples (Italy).

Database may be used by any language on any operating system while
Emacs Lisp is for Emacs only and there is  web browser interface as
well.

I have many tables and views defined and Hyperscope dynamic knowledge
repository development is simplifying some other tables.

Node in Hyperscope can be anything, for example WWW hyperlink that is
annotated or has description. It can be note or action like a task. By
using types one can then define anything. In that sense the table
"notes" is dropped and replaced with hyperdocument that may be "note",
table "tasks" is dropped and replaced with hyperdocument that may be
"action". Based on the principle of types, then the table "people"
should have pretty extensible design or model that will stand the
future in the sense that users may define their own types for table
columns.

Example would be to let user define type of contact to be "Fediverse"
with the value @somebody@example.com and then user can make function
how to communicate to such contact.