Re: Can't open Emacs

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Can't open Emacs
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 16:21:53 +0530

Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 6:06 PM Gene B. Gragg <gbgg@uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to reinstall GNU Emacs (my principal text editor for at
>> least the last ten years) on a recently acquired MacBook Pro (macOS
>> Catalina Version 10.15.7). I unfortunately first trashed the existing
>> version. I have tried both installing with home-brew (brew cask install
>> emacs) and downloading from emacsformacosx.com. When I try to open the
>> application in either case I get, again and again, the message:
>>
>> “Emacs” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious
>> software.
>> This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more
>> information.
>>

> I have under Security & Privacy the following set -

For a newly downloaded App, MacOS will block the application. So the
user will have to launch the app, read the warning, click OK and then
goto below panel to allow Emacs.

    System Preferences > Security & Privacy > (Tab) General

The warning for Emacs will be exactly below the radio button that you
have specified.