byte compiler, `modify-face', and "Programmatically" (was: Re: Programma

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: byte compiler, `modify-face', and "Programmatically" (was: Re: Programmatically maximize Emacs during startup?)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 02:19:38 +0100

What is this word that suddenly is everywhere,
"programmatically"? I know what it means of course but I always
felt you do everything the same way in Emacs, only in different
ways, right?

There are just some technicalities to the different flows and
executions and evaluations and invocations, and while they are
good to understand, it is nothing to focus on, right?

The documentation even says, in Lisp, don't use this, instead
do etc etc.

While I agree with the documentation, this only show it is all
the same!

BTW every time the documentation says that kind of thing,
a corresponding warning from the byte-compiler should come (if
possible to detect, of course, but often it is really simple so
why not? if it doesn't - consider it a bug.

E.g., use `modify-face' in code, the byte compiler should warn,
as it does in the docstring,

  For non-interactive use, ‘set-face-attribute’ is preferred.

Well, it is just an example.

That makes sense :)

--
underground experts united