Re: Removing the percentage in the mode line

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Removing the percentage in the mode line
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 18:58:17 -0300

You need to set `mode-line-percent-position' to nil. The manual says
in this page

  (info "(elisp)Mode Line Variables")

that the recommended way to do that is with customize, but I never
learned customize well enough... you can do it by evaluating the sexps
below with `C-x C-e':

  ;; Default (at least on my machine):
  (setq mode-line-percent-position '(-3 "%p"))

  ;; No percentage (and no "All"/"Top"/"Bot"):
  (setq mode-line-percent-position nil)

  ;; Update the mode line:
  (redraw-display)

For more on `C-x C-e' see:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Lisp-Eval.html
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eintr/How-to-Evaluate.html

By the way, it is possible to go to the customization page for
`mode-line-percent-position' by evaluating this...

  (customize-variable 'mode-line-percent-position)

  [[]], E.