Re: Dired: how to mark with other character but *

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Dired: how to mark with other character but *
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:34:15 +0300

* Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> [2021-01-31 09:53]:
> From the manual:
>
> ‘* c OLD-MARKCHAR NEW-MARKCHAR’
>      Replace all marks that use the character OLD-MARKCHAR with marks
>      that use the character NEW-MARKCHAR (‘dired-change-marks’).  This
>      command is the primary way to create or use marks other than ‘*’ or
>      ‘D’.  The arguments are single characters—do not use <RET> to
>      terminate them.
>
> (and yes, it is not easy to find unless you know what you're looking
> for).

I found that, but it just replaces marks. It does not mark. This one I
use after marking.

You know when you mark with `m' then if I wish to invoke action like
viewing a video then it is invoked on all marked items. So I cannot
view the unmarked video which is what I need.

Workflow is to mark videos for later, but also be able to view new
videos. If I use * to mark then viewing videos is applied on files
marked with * so I cannot view the unmarked video which is
intended. The video is marked after review. That is why I have to mark
the file with some other character that is not considered as file
marked for action by Dired.

It sounds more complicated than it is and I maybe do not express it
perfect. But that workflow of selecting files after review appears to
me very common.