Re: Dired: how to mark with other character but *

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Dired: how to mark with other character but *
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:36:54 +0300

* moasenwood--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-01-31 10:24]:
> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> > From the manual:
> >
> > ‘* c OLD-MARKCHAR NEW-MARKCHAR’ Replace all marks that use
> >      the character OLD-MARKCHAR with marks that use the
> >      character NEW-MARKCHAR (‘dired-change-marks’).
> >      This command is the primary way to create or use marks
> >      other than ‘*’ or ‘D’. The arguments are single
> >      characters—do not use <RET> to terminate them.
> >
> > (and yes, it is not easy to find unless you know what you're
> > looking for).
>
> Still, sounds complicated with all the replace and change
> stuff - what's the command to just mark the file at point with
> an arbitrary char?

That is exactly what I wanted to find out.

First I was thinking it will work with {C-u 1 m} to mark with `1' for
example. Then I could have at least 0-9 characters, it would be more
than enough.

But anyway, all those key bindings are too complex. It is best making
the function like I have made and binding it to one key for faster
work.