Re: Proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 13:57:23 +0300

* Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com> [2021-02-09 18:59]:
> Not being a graphic artist, I never had a need to use Photoshop. I simply
> don't understand its model of image editing. The most image editing I ever
> did was with simple tools like early versions of MacPaint. While I have no
> proof, I suspect a semi-competent Photoshop user could pick up the basics
> of GIMP pretty quickly. Every once in a while I think, "I'll just fire up
> GIMP for this one little thing." I stumble around for a while, accomplish
> nothing and eventually run screaming out of the room. I then go back to
> kolourpaint. It's not a big deal. If it was really that important I would
> spend the time to figure out GIMP, read a book or find a tutorial. I don't
> bitch that GIMP doesn't work like kolourpaint. I think Emacs is similar in
> that respect. It has a ton of power. Users have to realize that and be
> willing to spend some time learning. If all people want to do is enter some
> text, they can run Notepad.

Off-topic:

Yesterday I have seen Adobe Photoshop on computer of business card
producer in Kampala, Uganda. Because I know various Gimp functions, I
could explain to the operator how to resize layers, move and copy them
and make it right. Operator seemed to have same problems like you with
the exception that there was no escape to the kolourpaint.