Re: Proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 13:54:04 +0300

* Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> [2021-02-09 16:05]:

> > That still requires extra research on the part of the user. As well as
> > subsequent adaptation.
> >

> I fear everything requires adaptation in Emacs ;-)
>
> > > Moreover the bindings for "undo" are not more exotic than those of
> > > copy (M-w), cut (C-w) and paste (C-y).
> >
> > True, even though it is a bit more exotic (the advertised binding is a
> > whole key sequence rather than a plain modifier+key).
> >

> If you think this is a problem, I would suggest to change the advertised
> binding to "C-/" instead of "C-x u".

Isn't it already undo on C-/ as alternative to C-x u?

But please don't change C-x u as that is what I expect to work
always.

I use my personal Emacs with configuration and plethora of other
Emacses on other VPS-es and other computers and in those cases muscle
memory remembers defaults. On those Emacses there are no personal
configurations, so automatically I use C-x u or to change window C-x o
while in personal configuration I use s-arrows to change windows.

It is better not breaking habits.