Re: [External] : Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for user

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 07:18:53 +0000

> [Removed bugs@gnu.support from cc list.
> Why was it included?]

That email address is Jean Louis, that's why it's there.  I find it
confusing too.

>> If a *general* moratorium isn't possible, then how about a more
>> specific one?  How about applying it only to certain keymaps
>> or prefix keys.
>
> We shouldn't assume from the get-go that a more
> general hands-off isn't possible.
>
> (I know you said "if".  But Emacs devel _can_
> sometimes be moved by what its users say they want.)

I'm not convinced that a totally general moratorium would be good.  For
example, on this list a few days ago we talked about info-apropos.  John
Yates suggested binding it to a key in the C-h prefix.

I think something like that is fairly harmless.  Changing something two
prefixes away is likely to affect nobody (e.g. C-x 8 1).

BR,
Robert Thorpe