Re: Proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 13:49:16 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-02-09 20:00]:
> Gregory Heytings wrote:
>
> >> C-z is about as fundamental a keybinding as C-a, C-e, C-f
> >> and C-b. If you run "emacs -nw" how do you pause it to get
> >> back to your shell prompt?
>
> Right, that was what happened!
>
> But if you do that, how do you return to Emacs?

You have fg, bg kill %NUMBER comands, that is all shell. Actually C-z
is expectation coming from shell. I did not know that C-z has to be
implemented in Emacs or other software. My opinion was that C-z is
shell control of other software, regardless if that other software
have implemented various key bindings I was thinking shell is in
charge and in authority over programs running in the shell.

So C-z is my expectation to work always. Maybe is not so in reality.

This would invoke job #1 to come into foreground:

$ fg 1

This would invoke job #2 to come into foreground:

$ fg 2

So you could have multiple Emacs sessions or multiple editors in the
same shell and switching between them that way. That is not same as
screen/tmux as suspending a job does not continue execution of the
job.

Jean