no job control in this shell (was: Proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: no job control in this shell (was: Proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users)
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 19:50:17 -0600

(sending help-gnu-emacs to bcc as this is kind of out of the realm of
Emacs...)

Emanuel wrote:

> Do you mean this? But it doesn't say anything. How do you
> use it?
>
>        fg [ job ... ]
>        job ...
>               Bring each specified job in turn to the
>               foreground. If no job is specified, resume the
>               current job.
>
> Besides, fg and bg still just says no job control in
> this shell.
>
> `suspend-frame' works BTW. It didn't work before because
> of tmux. Without tmux in the plain tty it works. Only I don't
> get back to it so have to pkill it instead :)

Are you a bash user? The references you posted kind of suggested zsh to me,
but it wasn't clear. If you are using bash, does executing

set -m

allow you to use job control (fg and bg)? When I searched for "no job
control in this shell," that was the suggestion. If I execute

set +m
emacs -nw

I am unable to suspend emacs using C-z, so I suspect that might be what's
going on.

>From the documentation for set -m in the bash man page:

              -m      Monitor  mode.   Job control is enabled.  This option
is
                      on by default for interactive  shells  on  systems
 that
                      support  it  (see JOB CONTROL above).  All processes
run
                      in a separate process group.  When a background job
com‐
                      pletes, the shell prints a line containing its exit
sta‐
                      tus.

Skip