Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 13:43:43 +0300

* Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> [2021-02-09 12:11]:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 13:45, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>
> > Emacs is used on console by millions of people. Console itself defines
> > C-z as suspend of the job, so C-z is always expecte to suspend the
> > job for many programs, not only Emacs.
>
> > Job control is important part of computer operation, that is why C-z
> > shall remain untouched, just how it is now.
>
> Why though? I believe when you suspend a program what you really want
> is a shell prompt, and you could get that by opening a new tab or pane
> in your terminal emulator, or a new screen, window or pane in tmux.

Another issue with screen and tmux is that switching to different
screen or pane is not same as suspending a job. There are many
different use cases to suspend a job, imagine if I open up new VPS for
video processing and I invoke a command that goes over capacities of
the VPS, maybe everything blocks, I may need C-z to unblock
myself.

Shell job suspended is not same as job running in other shell or other
pane or window as those remain unsuspended and running, while
suspended one stops and do not use resources.

Jean