Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 13:46:11 +0100

On 2021-02-10, at 11:36, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> [2021-02-09 12:13]:
>>

>> > Emacs is used on console by millions of people. Console itself defines
>> > C-z as suspend of the job, so C-z is always expecte to suspend the job
>> > for many programs, not only Emacs.
>> >
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Those are common job control commands:
>> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_control_%28Unix%29#Commands
>> >

>> As you see on that page, C-c also has a standard meaning, which Emacs
>> doesn't follow.  Besides, the proposal binds "C-z C-z" to "frame-suspend".
>
> The proposal is good for Emacs but not good for shell users. Shell is
> fundamental to Emacs, it is foundation. Shell users expect C-z to work
> so that other jobs can be run in the shell. Breaking Emacs job is easy
> by quitting emacs, that has less priority and I do not assume that
> each job control feature has to be implemented in Emacs.

It just occurred to me that maybe we can have the pie and eat it, too:
why not designate `suspend-frame' as disabled by default?  Many Emacs
commands which may be confusing for beginners are set up this way, and
that makes sense - a seasoned user can easily enable a command (for the
current session or for all of them), you don't even have to write
a single line of Elisp for that.  This way we remove (or at least
reduce) the danger for someone who does not know what `C-z' does.

WDYT?

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl