Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 08:45:00 +0000

There is another issue.... I'm not sure that third-party packages will use the feature. I'm also on the Reddit Emacs group. Several of the people there use and develop third-party packages. It seems to me that they often do that because they don't want to contribute to core. Some don't like the core Emacs development team and don't agree with their direction for Emacs. So, would they use such a prefix key if it were offered? Perhaps not.

It woud be a feature for those 3rd-party package authors who want to co-operate with the core Emacs devs. I don't know how many of those there are, but I doubt it's all of them.

It would be part of the key binding conventions. Of course nobody is forced to follow these conventions, nobody is fined if the don't, but AFAICS the vast majority of package developers do follow them. Those who dislike the core Emacs development team do care about their users, and would not want to make their life more complicated than necessary.

Like Jean Louis, I think that the suggestion of changing C-z is awful. I use it all the time. Like Jean said it's expected in Unix like environments.

As has been explained again and again, including in the post to which you are replying, "C-z C-z" would remain bound to "suspend-frame", all you'd have to do is to press three keys instead of two. That isn't "awful", especially for a command you don't use once a minute. And in case you personally really need "suspend-frame" on "C-z", you would of course always have the possibility to (global-set-key (kbd "C-z") 'suspend-frame), and to move the keymap(s) reserved for third-party libraries on some other key of your choice.

Of the keys suggested I think the best is "M-o" since it's current default binding isn't very useful.

A meta key alone wouldn't be an appealing solution for third-party developers, it must either a control key alone, or a control key and its corresponding meta key.