Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 14:40:38 +0200

On 12.02.2021 07:42, Robert Thorpe wrote:

I agree with Jean Louis on that too.  I think C-z C-z is not good
enough.  Every other terminal application uses C-z by itself, it's a
convention.  It's been that way for decades.  If you write a terminal
application and do nothing special then C-z will suspend it.  That's
because it sends SIGTSTP.

Could we someday stop considering Emacs a "terminal application"? Yes, it has a version that works in the terminal, but it's limited in features compared to the graphical one.

Even non-graphical features, such as available key binding space.

Conventions make the whole operating system easier to use.

In your other replies you talk about casual users of Emacs.  What about
casual users who also use the shell?  One of my friends is like that -
he uses the shell for everything.  But he uses Emacs for editing.  That
workflow means suspending Emacs very often.  To users like that you are
breaking a very old and well established expectation.

'C-x C-z', a binding which has existed for a long time, is not too hard to type.