Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 23:56:31 +0300

* Howard Melman <hmelman@gmail.com> [2021-02-12 22:49]:
> I'm not a terminal user and I suspect this is changing
> something too longstanding to be considered but the subject
> is "not good proposal" so ...

Raspberry Pi installations worlwide are I guess in millions, people
access it remotely through terminal emulators or serial consoles.

Virutal Private Servers, dedicate servers are in millions or billions,
system administrators access it remotely through terminal emulators or
serial consoles.

Those are shell users. Shell users expect Ctrl-Z to work and not
because of Emacs but because of the basics of shell job controls.

When changing a key that would drastically deter compatibility with
known conventions one has to consider millions of applications in
shell.

Ctrl-Z is mentioned as suspending the job in almost every popular
shell on GNU/Linux systems and BSD systems. Number of installations of
those systems in Internet prevails. Administrators access it through
shell.

> This then frees up C-x 5 as a prefix key.  It's probably a
> year too late (though this muscle memory can't be too strong
> yet), but I'd move the C-x t tab-bar commands to C-x 5 and
> free up the more convenient C-x t prefix for something else.
> It's not as convenient as an unbound C-z but it's something.
> And it also solves the wasted C-x 5 prefix in a terminal
> which no one seems to care about :)

I have been using C-x 5 numerous times today and every day, last year
and last years. I hope that those user experiences may give you more
insights.

Jean