Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 12:01:09 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-02-13 11:05]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >> Virutal Private Servers, dedicate servers are in millions
> >> or billions [...]
> >
> > Those are not mine, those are installations worldwide.
>
> Hey, how many drips of H2O are the in the Niagara falls?
> Millions or billions, right?

For H20 who knows.

I have no idea of number of Internet servers, it requires researching
and thinking how to estimate it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_Internet_hosts

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/05/14/whos-got-the-most-web-servers/

If 1&1 company has 70000 Internet servers in 2010, maybe now they have
double or triple that amount. I do not know how many VPS-es are
spawned on each server and not each is used for VPS business. But let
us say 50000 servers are used for VPS-e and 20 virtual machines are
spawned, that is already 500,000 VPS-es, so 1 company could alone
already represent 1 million of VPS-es spawned. If there are 1000
companies that may reach 1 billion.

I do believe there must be millions of VPSes that are sold to
customers and administered by customers in one way or the other.

I also believe that there must be billions of VPS-es anyway, but not
necessarily administered by customers, many can be spawned
automatically up and down for process control or whatever operations.

Among manye millions or VPS-es spawned I believe that number of people
entering into VPS by using shell is considerable, maybe one tenth of
the number, that could easily by one million of people. One part of
those could be sometimes using Emacs.

For example company Digitalocean provides VPSes to people, they
provide instructions for Emacs here:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-the-emacs-editor-in-linux

That means Digitalocean provides for its customers tutorial and there
are customers who use Emacs and entering their VPSes and handling
shell stuff.

But how many is hard to know. Such customers will rather not invoke
popularity contests statistics reporting or consider VPS to be their
personal machine.

Jean