Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 23:45:54 +0300

* Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> [2021-02-12 15:52]:
> > Could we someday stop considering Emacs a "terminal application"? Yes,
> > it has a version that works in the terminal, but it's limited in
> > features compared to the graphical one.
>
> According to the recent survey, 30% of the Emacs users use it in a terminal
> or console.  It is true that the non-graphical version has some limits,
> which are limits that are imposed by terminals and consoles, but the fact
> that it is possible to use the same program in both situations is, IMO,
> invaluable.

When I am in VPS or dedicated server I will use first any editor that
is available.

On NetBSD servers I may type "emacs" as user and face either the real
Emacs or some kind of replacement such as `mg' or some other editor
with Emacs key bindings, but not real Emacs. Sometimes depending of
the system I may type "emacs" and find myself in `vi' or `vim'

If I have to administer or change some system configuration, or
install some software, then me as system administrator may not
identify myself as "Emacs user" but may use Emacs as text editor when
ready or available. There are millions of such users who are not
identified as Emacs users. I have been referencing data of how many
times is Emacs installed just on Debian servers by those users who did
submit to report their usage through popularity contest. If I remember
well it is more than 16000. Debian GNU/Linux is probably most popular
VPS operating system. There are millions of VPSes opened up globally
and instances are opening each in a while. Administrators may need
just one hour of few hours or maybe days to set it up, they may not
dwell in Emacs like we do.

I do not consider that survey authentic. But let us say it is. In my
opinion that 30% from the survey is much greater number in reality. If
we assume that 30% would apply also to those who reported Emacs
installations in Debian GNU/Linux than there is at least 4800 users
among those 16000 who reported using Emacs in that OS. What about the
total number of Debian users or GNU/Linux users in total? I have been
referencing it already, those are millions of people an Emacs must be
used by millions of people. In my opinion that shall be 8 millions
people. What if it is 50% or 4 millions of people than 30% of console
users would represent population of over million of people.

This data is just for consideration of such proposals to stop
considering using Emacs in console.

People not identifying as Emacs users may be Emacs
users. Identification and hobby and enthusiasm is one thing, separate
from duties, business or research. Person may be writing for decades
on Emacs without even knowing that he is or could be a dedicated
enthusiastic Emacs user who reports each in a while on GNU mailing
lists or public forums.

As nano user who do not identify as nano user:

I am using nano, but I am not nano user in my identifications.

As vim user who do not identify as vim user:

I do use vim each in a while and before I have been using it almost
regularly. I would be using vim even now but I do not know how to
setup various input methods like I do it in Emacs. It is faster editor
for specific tasks. In Emacs I can enter oe and get German umlaut or
other alphabets or cyrillic without problem, but I lack that important
capability in vim and so I use it for English only. Maybe it does
exist. I do not identify as vim user and would not have time neither
interest to answer whatever surveys about vim.

As zile user who do not identify as zile user:

I have never sent zile bug report neither I know how to do it. Zile
just works. I may install it on VPS or systems where I need faster and
quicker editing in English without UTF-8. It is sometimes my
replacement for Emacs in `mutt' or when some development version of
Emacs is making me problems, or when Emacs is too heavy and I still
need to edit things.

I am also user of mousepad text editor, and I never participate in any
forums nor bug reporting related to it so I do not identify as user of
mousepad. I also use `mcedit' from time to time, very fancy and usable
editor that I invoke through Midnight Commander. I will use `mg' and
`e3' editor as `e3em' Emacs version without hesitations as well but do
not identify as user of it. In MIT Scheme there is one editor that I
may invoke, it is like Emacs or its derivative, but I am not
identified as user of it.

>From the above description of my persona user experience one can
assume that there are millions of Emacs users who will not identify as
such neither follow forums, replies or send bug reports, they will
edit some files, not necessarily dwell inside of the editor and
establish romantic relations with it like we do it here.

Jean