Re: enriched mode loses bold on save, version 26.1, debian 10.3

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: enriched mode loses bold on save, version 26.1, debian 10.3
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 11:30:05 +0300

* Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> [2021-02-13 05:22]:
> I can copy text that has colors and some words bolded into a buffer showing
> an enriched-text file.
>
> For example, i can open an eshell, and do ls: the command prompt is bold
> and orange, while the files i list that are directories come out bold and
> blue, with black unbold text for regular files.
>
> When i paste this text into an enriched-text file, all of the colors and
> bolding show up.

I am not skilled in those Emacs technicalities, but from personal
pasting of text I know that various face or font settings may be
visually such in other buffer. Those are visual settings. Enriched
mode has some underlying settings and if no text was marked as bold in
the enriched mode then those visual settings would disappear.

For example I am looking at this email and your quoted text is
appearing something of orange color, but if I would copy and paste
that in Enriched mode, the orange color is not saved. That is because
it belongs rather to the theme or visual representation of text. It is
not saved because the true digital content of the text did not contain
the visual information, it is separate.

It is not a bug in my opinion.

Maybe there exists way to slurp or obtain those visual settings and
convert such into Enriched mode. I use Enriched mode for my notes.

Jean