Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 18:45:55 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-02-13 18:39]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > When s-p is prefix one can make s-p p also prefix, that
> > increases rapidly number of available keys. I favor prefixes
> > like
>
> Suggestion, start with: what are the number of keybindings if
> there are no additional prefix keys defined, with modifiers are
> C and M?

So just to count number of keys without using those keys as prefix
keys?

And then just one shall be reserved for third party packages? And not
as prefix?

Is that what was meant with it?

Those third party packages may start fighting for that one reserved
key.

> > MODIFIER-LETTER SAME-LETTER-AGAIN as such can be
> > invoked quicker.
>
> Well, for the first and most important one, sure. Then the
> asdf jkl; keys as they are close and fast and ergonomic, then
> the ... etc

In modal mode Emacs offers probably better keybindings like Xah
explained: https://github.com/xahlee/xah-fly-keys

We still think that the key need be reserved, but we forgot the
growing number of vi-like users who prefer modal system.