Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key (why only one?) and reserve it for third

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key (why only one?) and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 22:24:42 +0300

* Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> [2021-02-14 21:58]:

> > > I agree with Drew that the solution you propose is not user-friendly,
> >
> > Huh?  AFAIK, I've said nothing about what you guys seem to be talking
> > about now.  Please cite what you think I said about this, if you're
> > going to make references to what I've said.
> >

> See:
>
> Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 20:48:11 +0000
>
> in which you said:
>
> > > Philip Kaludercic suggested some code for prompting users before
> > > mapping keys.  I think that's a good idea.
> >
> > Maybe that could be part of a solution.  But many users will not
> > appreciate, or not be prepared for, making such key-binding decisions at
> > the outset and on the fly.

It can be easily solved by introducing variable
`ask-me-for-packages-which-need-prefix-key' which is by default NIL.

Packages can then notify Emacs that they need one or more prefix keys:

(need-prefix-key 'my-package-map-1)
(need-prefix-key 'my-package-map-2)

Emacs would then provide the unified wizard function that asks those
users who have set the above variable for prefix keys for the package.

That solves universally those hypothetical problems discussed.