Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key (why only one?) and reserve it for third

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key (why only one?) and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 09:07:02 +0000

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

>> I'm not sure I understand your point here.  Any single key that's picked
>> will have a similar limitation.
>>

> With a single key you indeed have a limitation, but it's the limitation of
> the keyboard, not an arbirary one.  You have full access to all letters,
> all digits, all symbols, combined or not with the control and/or meta
> modifier.  That's a lot more than 26 or 52 keys.

I see what you mean but I don't think it's a huge difference.  Most
desktop keyboards have ~104 keys.  And some of those can't be
differentiated from each other by Emacs.  Laptop keyboards usually have
fewer, mine has 81.

>> For example, let's suppose that M-o is picked.  That's my favourite, I
>> know you don't like it.
>>

> It's in the proposal, it would be a perfect choice, together with C-o.

I think C-o is a terrible idea.  Open-line is a very useful command.
It's useful in all sorts of text editing scenarios.  Yes, the same can
be done using return and C-b, but that's longer.

In my opinion, M-o is a good idea though.  The M-o prefix is only really
useful in enriched mode.  Perhaps it could be retained in that mode
only.

BR,
Robert Thorpe