Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 08:55:03 +0000

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Second, what is it you want to do with it, that cannot be done
> from the shell, but it _can_ be done with "shell job control"?

> kill, top, nice and renice deal with processes and they can be
> - what am I saying - they ARE - used from the shell. So just
> fire up a new pane in tmux and use them all you want, happens
> every day.

I never said that shell job control is the only way to achieve these
objectives.

But, it is a very quick way of doing it.  Opening another tmux tab then
running something like kill or top is much more long-winded.  It takes
dozens of keypresses rather than just one.

Like I said, try using shell job control and I'm sure you'll like it.
It's especially useful for the kind of process that tend to take over
your entire computer and make it slow.

I very much doubt that Debian have given you a version of Zsh without
job-control.  I expect it's disabled by a configuration somewhere.

BR,
Robert Thorpe