Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 19:15:42 +0100

Robert Thorpe wrote:

> Emmanuel, I agree with Jean Louis about this. A tool that
> can't stop and restart jobs does not provide all the
> facilities of shell job control. Tmux and GNU Screen are not
> full replacements for job control.

Roobert, first, what's the definition of a job? Is it
a process or what it is, technically speaking?

Second, what is it you want to do with it, that cannot be done
from the shell, but it _can_ be done with "shell job control"?

> Having a job in another tab is not the same as stopping it.

I guess not :)

> Job control is very useful in some cases and I expect you'll
> start using it once you've learned about it. For jobs that
> consume lots of CPU time those commands are very useful.

Again, what commands are we talking about and what do they do?

> As are the associated utilities such as kill, top, nice
> and renice.

kill, top, nice and renice deal with processes and they can be
- what am I saying - they ARE - used from the shell. So just
fire up a new pane in tmux and use them all you want, happens
every day.

> I suspect that your zsh is capable of job control. I expect
> one of two things have happened. Either (1) you have
> accidentally disabled it in your zsh config.

I just put 'return' as the first line of ~/.zshrc, then
starting with \zsh and doing fg and it still says

  fg: no job control in this shell.

> Or, (2) it's because you have launched zsh in such a way
> that it thinks that it's a non-interactive shell.

Well, I don't launch zsh, it happens automatically when
a Linux VT, Emacs shell mode, or X terminal emulator
is started.

This function [1] tells if zsh is interactive. And you better
believe it is.

interactive-zsh () {
    [[ $- == *i* ]] && echo 'you better believe it' || echo 'not so'
}

[1] https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/26782

--
underground experts united