Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 02:54:01 +0100

Dmitry Gutov wrote:

>> I only use graphical Emacs myself. But I think that
>> terminal Emacs is still important, as Jean Louis says.
>> Lots of people who have started using Emacs recently came
>> to from the terminal. You can see that on Emacs Reddit.
>
> Those are often former Vim developers, too. So it might not
> be due to the nature of their work, but largely due to their
> previous habits.
>
> It's not a 100% conclusion of the survey we have referred to
> previously, but its results state that ~30% of all users are
> in the terminal, ~30% of all users are using a Vim key
> bindings emulation, and ~30% of all users have been using
> Vim as their primary editor previously. They can't be all
> the same users, but it's an interesting coincidence.

They write

  Also if you have some cool analysis and want to share it,
  please let us know and we can link to you. [1]

(I'll CC this reply to them)

I'm just one person (d'oh) who didn't even knew of the survey,
and TBH I was totally chocked by that digit (7344 responses) -
I mean, here were are some 20 bunch of guys talking about the
same damn stuff year in year out - and suddenly 7344 people
have responded to a, to me unheard of survey! - but anyway ...
in my case it isn't correct.

I did CS at the university and in the intro course they
mentioned Emacs. I used nano at the time, in a manner of
speaking. I tried Emacs in the Linux VT because I was, and
still is I guess, a keyboard/typing fan(atic), and setting the
keys there was much simper, I thought, i.e. in the VTs, than
in xterm, my then-and-now X terminal emulator of choice.

So I never did Vim. I understand "visudo" but apart from
understanding it it doesn't make sense to me based on previous
or any experience whatsoever actually.

> But I rarely ever see someone using the 'C-z' -> 'fg' pair,
> in fact, I struggle to remember anyone do that (except some
> of the sysadmins, I guess). I am aware of that capability
> myself, but never take advantage of it, opting instead for
> an additional split in the terminal emulator. Overall, it
> seems to be like it had been more important in the earlier
> age when operating systems had no real multitasking. Now we
> have terminal splits, and tmux, and so on.

Indeed, I think the terminal multiplexers and in particular
tmux has removed the need for C-z/fg. It is better as well,
since you don't let go of Emacs.

> I'm a web developer by trade, so maybe I could clarify
> a few things.

OT: I've read that

  You should include the following <meta> viewport element in
  all your web pages: <meta name="viewport"
  content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"> [2]

but after spending tons of time on the HTML5/CSS on a couple
of blog articles [3] using that meta tag screws everything up,
even (especially) on my smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy Note 2
LTE GT-N7105 16GB. Without it, I think it looks good.

I'd LOVE to get feedback from a pro, if you can find the time
(working with this professionally, I get it you might not
enjoy doing it on your spare time as well. but maybe it won't
take many minutes. I hope not :))

[1] https://emacssurvey.org/2020/

[2] https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_rwd_viewport.asp

[3] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/blog/climbing-gear/climbing-gear.html