Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:59:11 +0300

* Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> [2021-02-13 00:09]:
> On 12.02.2021 22:26, Jean Louis wrote:
> > So Emacs could decide to ignore the shell job control and become
> > incompatible to shell users' expectations that Control-Z should work
> > when invoked from shell.
>
> We do have bindings are are similar to the shell's, but not exact copies,
> like 'C-c C-d' or 'C-c C-c' in comint.

Maybe you speak of other thing not related to job control.

Control-Z in shell should suspend jobs no matter what job is
doing. That expectation comes from shell, not Emacs, Emacs keybindings
are not relevant for shell job control.

Like C-c C-d or C-c C-c that maybe does something in Emacs mode is not
related to shell outside of Emacs, it does nothing in other modes. So
is not related to shell, as the shell we speak here is the outside
shell from where Emacs is invoked. Not the M-x shell.