Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 11:09:14 +0200

> Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 11:37:56 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: dgutov@yandex.ru, rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com,
>   gregory@heytings.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > So please don't assume C-z is some shell job control magic; it isn't.
> > This is Emacs emulating that magic, because we decided long ago to do
> > that.  Arguing that Emacs does it because the underlying shell does it
> > is therefore counter-productive.
>
> Maybe there is some misunderstanding. Your explanation is definitely
> clarifying for others, for me I understood it already though without
> those technicalities.

Your understanding didn't show in the text you were writing.  That is
why I replied to the large number of messages you devoted to the C-z
issue, which quite clearly said that C-z _is_ job control.  Showing
how the various shells handle that didn't help.  People on this list
are not necessarily fluent in the Emacs internals, so telling them
that C-z is just a key binding in Emacs, like any other one, looked
important to me.