Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 17:39:48 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-02-17 01:10]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > It does not relate to suspending a job, as terminal
> > multiplexers do not suspend or stop the job temporarily,
> > they run the processes. Inside of them one can use job
> > control [...]
>
> You can, but often you don't have to, because there is no need
> to suspend and start processes back and forth just to get
> access to the shell. Instead you just open a new tmux pane and
> do whatever you intend to do, there.

To get access to shell is maybe purpose for some people, I do not
know. I will use that to suspend one job while doing some other
job. As I said, I do not myself really consider one editor instance as
something as "running job" it is more like "pending or ready" process.

My side I have things that process over one day, two days. Sometimes
it is sending emails. If I leave it running it is continous process,
sends emails and reports with a single dot "." -- then screen becomes
full of dots........... but then sometimes Internet stops working as I
use mobile Internet. That is where emails go into the queue, but even
if they go into Courier mail queue, the queue may be itself having
some number of expiry days and all emails sent become rejected by my
own physical computer serving my in my premise. Of course people use
remote servers for that, but because I do not consider them reliable,
rather unsafe, I keep databases safe on my off-line computers and just
relay to remote servers.

Jobs of that kind that run all the time need suspension, not switch to
other screen. By switching to other shell, screen, tmux, one does not
suspend the job, and does not suspend the activity. By killing it with
proper signal the activity may be stopped. True. But that can be done
in emergency and only under conditions when person does have access to
different resource and especially enough time. When something goes
wrong there is no time, you need Control-Z.

Who did not learn using job control, does not need it. Who did learn
it, uses it. I am using it frequently. Sometimes it is the only way
out of some program. Public shell servers can be useful for processing
of data, why not, I will use some processing on remote servers that
are not mine as if there is no secret information.

In other words, there are numerous situations where one to
stop/suspend process, and be able to continue the process, this is
totally orthogonal to switching between processes or supervising what
running processes do as that is what screen/tmux do.