Re: A ton of marker entry in buffer-und-list

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: A ton of marker entry in buffer-und-list
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 12:48:42 -0500

>> I know what they mean but it is quite strange to have some many of (#<marker
>> at 27 in a> . -1) in
>> buffer-undo-list—it is a new buffer and I didn’t create any marker in it, so
>> it shouldn’t have hundreds of
>> markers to move.
>
> hard to say without seeing the code which produces this effect.  What
> is at position 27 in buffer 'a’?

I just opened a fundamental buffer and held on ‘a’ to insert a bunch of a’s. So
it’s just the character ‘a’.

Turns out it’s not my code’s fault, I bisected my configuration and disabled
winner-mode, then everything is back to normal. I looked at winner.el but it
doesn’t seem to create markers, only accessing marker returned by
window-prev-buffers (ah, so that marker is probably the window’s point marker).
So I’m not sure what went wrong.

If you start emacs -q, enable winner-mode, insert a bunch of text, and undo all
of them, you should see many marker entries in buffer-undo-list. (More
specifically, I inserted a line of ‘a’, copied the line and pasted a bunch of
them.)

> In many cases, most markers are created implicitly as part of overlays.
> Are there overlays in the buffer?  You can check that with `overlays-in`.

Thanks, I checked and there is no overlays. (Now I think they are windows’
point markers.)

Yuan