Re: A ton of marker entry in buffer-und-list

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: A ton of marker entry in buffer-und-list
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 22:48:51 +0100

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, I checked and there is no overlays. (Now I think they are
> windows’ point markers.)

First: The effect is easy to reproduce: In a fresh emacs -Q, enable
winner-mode, and insert a bunch of a's into the buffer.  Then `undo'
(just hit C-_) until they are all gone, and look at the value of
`buffer-undo-list'.  There I see the markers.

And I also think your analysis is correct: winner-mode adds something to
`post-command-hook' that calls `winner-remember' which creates a fresh
window-configuration.  In post-command-hook!  Every time.  These are not
all kept, no, but their markers (point and mark positions, all different
objects, I have checked that), at least some of them, seem to live long
enough to get part of buffer-undo-list when undoing.  Once they are
there, they can't even be garbage collected any more, because they are
now referenced by a living lisp object.

This is...not so good, right?

Michael.